Year 3 is a year of big change as we move into Key Stage 2.
In our classroom you will find a happy learning environment where all children are actively engaged in a creative and stimulating curriculum built upon the strong foundation our Catholic faith.
In Year 3 we prepare to make the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Communion. We think about the different choices we make and we reflect on our own relationship with God. We understand how important it is to be close to God and we try very hard to follow in Jesus’ footsteps, learning from his good example. We try to remember and live by these commandments: ‘Love the Lord your God’ and ‘Love your neighbour as yourself’. We feel that if we are following these two commandments, we will be on the right path.
We also look to our class saint for guidance: Saint Teresa of Calcutta. Mother Teresa dedicated her life to helping the poor and sick in Calcutta and all over the world. Her life was also full of care, selflessness and devotion to God. In Year 3, we try to follow St Teresa’s example by putting others first and spending time in thoughtful prayer.
There are lots of exciting opportunities to look forward to in Year 3! We enjoy taking part in workshops and school trips. We like baking, creating different items in D&T and conducting exciting science experiments.
We love working with our teacher and teaching assistants and we will always strive to be the best we can be!
Find out about our learning in Year 3:
- In English, through Talk for Writing, we will explore a variety of fiction and non- fiction texts including descriptive tales, warning tales and instructions.
- In Maths, we will focus on place value, the 4 operations and measurement with an emphasis on reasoning problems.
- Our science topics are animals including humans, rocks, forces and magnets, plants and light.
- Our RE topics are homes, promises, Judaism and visitors in the Advent term. During the Lent term we will be learning about journeys, listening and sharing, Sikhism and giving all. In the Pentecost term our topics are energy, choices, Islam and special places.
- In History, we will be learning about the significance and chronology of the Golden Ages, the Romans and the Middle Ages.
- In Geography, we will be learning about our local area, European countries, rivers, mountains, earthquakes and volcanoes.
- During our computing lessons, we will look at computer programming, creating stop-frame animation and desktop publishing.
- In art and design, we will investigate and practice techniques in drawing, painting and sculptures.
- In DT lessons, we will look at mechanical systems, structures, the digital world and cooking seasonal foods.
- In our music lessons we will explore a range of genres of music as well as beginning to learn how to play the glockenspiel.
- During our PE sessions we will play invasion and net and ball games as well as taking part in gymnastics, dance, athletics and striking and fielding.